The general partners of an overseas limited partnership must file an annual return with the Companies Office. Financial information is not required — the purpose is simply to ensure that the overseas limited partnership details are up to date.
When to file your annual return
It's a legal requirement that the general partners file an annual return with us each year. A limited partnership is not required to file an annual return in the calendar year of its registration.
Filing month reminder
We'll send you a reminder by an email on the first day of your annual return filing month. Clicking on the link will take you to the business registers website where you can log in and follow the appropriate steps.
Before you file your annual return
Your annual return confirms that details held on the register are accurate and up to date.
If there’s been a change that has yet to be recorded on the register, you should do this before you start filing. You will not have the opportunity to update information during the filing process. Details are not saved if the filing process is interrupted.
Information you'll need to confirm
Your annual return will include the following information:
- Details of its registered office, address for service and postal address
- Email address — official email address for communication
- Details of the general partners
How to file your annual return
To begin filing your online annual return, you can either click on the link in your reminder email, or log in to your online services account and follow the steps below:
- On the dashboard, from your 'My Businesseses' list, select the limited partnership for which you wish to file the annual return.
- On the 'View Details' screen, select 'Maintain Limited Partnership' and choose ‘File Annual Return’.
- Confirm if the 'General Details' information is correct.
- Confirm if the 'Addresses' information is correct.
- Confirm if the 'General Partners' information is correct.
- Complete the signatory details and select ‘Submit’.
Paying the levies
There's no annual return registration fee; however, a $9.00 (plus GST) FMA levy and a $6.00 (plus GST) XRB levy will be collected when the annual return is filed.
If you don't file an annual return
If an annual return isn't filed by the due date, the overseas limited partnership is at risk of having the Registrar place a note on the register declaring it inactive.