Search the register
Search this website
| Options Options
Search Type
Home > Learn about > Company Authority > How do you get Company Authority?
Welcome Guest. welcome , You last logged on at
Document Actions

How do you get Company Authority?


New companies

The person who incorporates the company online will be automatically granted Company Authority.

If that user has incorporated the company on behalf of an organisation (for example, their employer) Company Authority will be granted to that organisation.


Existing companies

Go directly to Request a Company Authority (you’ll be prompted to login before proceeding).

Follow these steps to request authority through the register search function:

  1. Login
  2. Search the register for the company you want authority for.
  3. Select My Tools then choose Request Authority.


First you'll need to confirm who you're requesting Company Authority for; is it for you individually, or for your organisation?

For example, if you're a director of the company, select the individual option followed by the director option. You'll be shown a list of the company's directors, confirm which director you are.

You'll then be able to move on to the next step, ‘confirming authority’.


  1. Use the existing company key
    Your company may have a company key if it was incorporated before 28 June 2010. If so, you can use this to confirm to the Companies Office that you should have Company Authority. If you've forgotten your company key, you can use the automated service to retrieve it.
  2. Request authority from an existing Company Authority holder
    Alternatively you can request authority from someone that already has Company Authority for that company (please see Note 1 below).  When you use this option, the system will notify the existing holder and ask them to either accept or reject the request. 

    1 Note | A director who has established their own Company Authority can grant authority to other directors or authorised persons. An authorised person who has established their own Company Authority can only grant authority to the company's directors.
  3. Apply to the Registrar of Companies
    You can request Company Authority from the Companies Office through the Registrar Approval Service.  
    | You can only use this option if you are unable to obtain Company Authority through either of the first two methods.


[image] Options if you are a director wanting Company Authority.   [image] Options if you are an authorised person wanting Company Authority.


Registrar Approval Service

You can only use this service if you are unable to confirm authority through either of the first two methods described above. 

The Companies Office will process all authority requests within three working days and confirm whether the authority request has been accepted or rejected via email.

Different requirements apply for individuals and those requesting authority on behalf of an organisation: 


If you're an individual, you'll need to provide proof of identity (in the form of a drivers licence or passport). You'll need to upload or fax a copy of this ID to the Companies Office before authority can be granted.


If you're requesting authority on behalf of your organisation, we require a signed 'Letter of Authorisation'. 


This letter of authorisation must:

  • be printed on your organisation's letterhead.  
  • state that your organisation has authority to affect change over the company that you're requesting authority for.
  • include the company name and number for the company you're requesting authority for. Each authority request is specific to a company.


[PDF icon] View a PDF file. You will need PDF viewing software

To view or print our forms you'll need PDF viewing software such as Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you're having problems downloading our forms, make sure you've updated your PDF reader to the latest version.


Upload an electronic copy of the signed letter using the online Registrar Approval Service. 

Alternatively, you can fax it to us at 0508 288 467 (0508 AUTHORITY). The Companies Office will process authority requests within three working days and confirm whether the authority request has been accepted or rejected via email.

Please note | When using this online service, you can upload a file up to 20MB. The following file formats can be used when using the online Registrar Approval Service:

  • .doc
  • .pdf
  • .gif
  • .jpg
  • .png


Application for Registrar Approval in respect of a company which appears to have been formed as a nominee company for overseas interests

Where an application for Registrar Approval is received in respect of a company which appears to have been formed as a nominee company for overseas interests, the Companies Office will require delivery of additional evidence of the consent of the proposed directors and shareholders to the transfer of authority including:

Proof of your right to authority in the form of certified documentation signed on behalf of the company granting your authority. This must be signed by a director or a person authorised to act on behalf of the company.

Note | In the case where the proof of authority you provide is signed by an authorised person instead of a director, you'll also be required to provide a copy of certified documentation appointing that person.

Evidence of identity for all natural persons who have signed any documentation you have provided. This should be in the form of a passport or a certified copy of a person’s passport. If a passport is unavailable, the original or certified copies of two of the following are required:

  • A government issued identity card (with photograph)
  • A drivers licence (with photograph)
  • Birth certificate
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Use of the trusted referee process
    (Please contact the Companies Office if you wish to use this service).


Note | All documents above which must be signed or providing evidence of identity must either be original documents or certified copies of the original documents.


Who can certify a document?

Certified copies of documents contain an original signature, attestation and contact details from a notary, solicitor, JP or person of similar standing in the community.


Can I provide documents in a language other than English or Maori?
Yes, you can provide documents in languages other than English and Maori, however, you're required to provide an official translation of the document.


Last updated 19 January 2017