Registration can be made by an application of at least 7 adults.
Who can apply
Friendly societies are established for:
- any purposes set out in the First Schedule of the Friendly Societies and Credit Unions Act 1982 (the Act). For example, providing benefit due to sickness, to cover medical expenses etc
- benevolent or charitable purposes — called 'benevolent societies'.
- the purpose of social interaction, mutual helpfulness etc — called 'working men’s clubs'.
- purposes authorised by the Minister.
What needs to be filed
- an application signed by at least 7 adult members and the secretary
- a copy of the rules of the society (signed by the applicants)
- a list of committee members, officers and trustees.
The rules must include the matters mentioned in the Second Schedule of the Act.
Paying the registration fee
The fee for registering a friendly society is $245.13 (plus GST). This fee includes a Financial Markets Authority levy of $21.74 (plus GST) and External Reporting Board levy of $6 (plus GST).
Filing your documents
You can send any documents to be filed with us to:
Registrar of Friendly Societies and Credit Unions
Private Bag 92061
Victoria Street West