Under the Screen Industry Workers Act 2022 (SIWA) worker organisations and engager organisations must register to be able to bargain collectively.
On this page:
- Who's eligible to register
- How to apply for registration as a screen industry organisation
- When you may need to include other applications
Your organisation must be an incorporated society under either —
- the Incorporated Societies Act 1908 (the 1908 Act), or
- the Incorporated Societies Act 2022 (the 2022 Act).
Societies incorporating after 5 October 2023 must apply under the 2022 Act.
It must also either:
- be registered as a union under the Employment Relations Act 2000 or Trade Unions Act 1908, or
- meet the following requirements of section 83(2) of the Screen Industry Workers Act 2022
The object or an object of your society is to promote its members’ collective work interests; and
Your society’s set of rules or its constitution (see note) is democratic, not unreasonable, not unfairly discriminatory or unfairly prejudicial, and not contrary to law; and
Your society’s set of rules or its constitution (see note) contains a provision relating to the process for holding 1 or more secret ballots for the purposes of SIWA; and
Your society is independent of, and is constituted and operates at arm’s length from —
any engager or engager organisation (if your society is seeking to be registered as a worker organisation), and
any worker organisation (if your society is seeking to be registered as an engager organisation).
Your organisation must also have:
- a minimum number of members (for societies registered under the 1908 Act this is 15 members, for societies registered under the 2022 Act the minimum is 10), and
- a set of rules or constitution that complies with the Incorporated Societies Act (see note), the Employment Relations Act (when relevant) and the Screen Industry Workers Act.
You will need to complete the application form (Form SIO1 - Application to register as a worker organisation or an engager organisation) and send it to us.
The application must be signed by an officer of the society. You will also need to provide the following documents to support your application:
- A copy of the society's certificate of incorporation under the Incorporated Societies Act (see note), and
- A copy of the society's rules (constitution) as registered under that Act, and
- A statutory declaration made by an officer of the society setting out the reasons why the society is entitled to be registered as a worker organisation or an engager organisation.
It’s faster to send us your application by emailing it to email@example.com
Use this address to send us your application by post —
Private Bag 92061
Victoria Street West
Or to send it by courier —
Level 1, 162 Victoria Street West
If your application is in order, we will register your society as a screen industry organisation and send you a certificate of registration.
If your organisation is not yet registered as an incorporated society, you will need to send us your application for incorporation.
If your society is not yet registered as a union but intends to, you will need to include your application to register as a union.
For information about becoming an incorporated society please refer to the information on our Incorporated Societies Register website. Information about registering as a union is available on our Registered Unions website.